by zuzulo56
04/25/17 10:59 AM
Read Our Article On B.S. Levy
by AutoTrackDay
04/23/17 10:59 PM
Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others
by dcb
04/12/17 12:00 AM
1964 Studebaker Daytona Lark...at Goodwood.
by JerryB
04/11/17 01:20 AM
Eight 20x8x13 Hoosier Rains - $550
by AxeHealey
04/05/17 05:37 PM
"Century-old Edwardian beasts".
by Amélie Renoncule
04/01/17 12:21 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#13220 - 08/19/16 08:56 AM Re: Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others [Re: dcb]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Loc: Greenville, SC
Good luck Dave, hope you have a great race weekend.
MG/Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines
The Vintage Production Car Festival
https://www.facebook.com/vintageproductioncarfestival

#13221 - 08/20/16 05:07 AM Re: Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others [Re: dcb]
lynds Offline
Wannabe

Loc: Aus
You have a great weekend of racing Dave .....go show em what a nearly 70 gentleman can do .

Cheers

Lyndsay

#13224 - 08/21/16 11:56 PM Re: Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline
Champion

OK, so here's the race report:

I'll start with the bad. My new starter motor didn't always want to work. I put an intermediate solenoid ahead of the starter so that the starter lead would only be "hot" when in use. I've had one break off completely and another nearly so and I can't think of anything good that can come of a hot battery lead flailing around the engine compartment. Anyway something wasn't always making contact and gave me fits.

Secondly, I couldn't tell if it was brake bias or something else, but the car darted a lot under heavy braking. This seemed to get better as the laps progressed, but perhaps because I started using them gingerly. I've got to get this sorted out!

And finally my tranny spit all of its oil out by lap 7 of the race. I've no idea why and until I take the engine and trans out I'll not know why. From under the car, the case looks dry so the leak is farther back. I installed a new tailshaft bushing and seal on the trans and maybe I screwed up some how. Anyway, I could feel that the trans was getting a little harder to shift and came in... probably too late. ( one of my consistent failings on the track is that I take too long to come in when I sense that something has changed)

And now the good. The car was very drivable. Perhaps a little understeer, but nothing at all evil or unpredictable. My driving was ham fisted, but the car did everything I asked it to do. I want to change the pedal positions a little but otherwise I was comfortable in the car. It's going to take awhile to get used to positioning the car on entry and exit from the right side. A couple to times I got the outer wheels on the rumble strips and was surprised because my body was where it normally would line-up on the track. Trouble is the car is now to my left!

It was interesting to have a number of people come over and reminisce about Bob Hubbard. Quite a few remembered him personally including the ever present Duck Waddle. They were glad to see the car again.

I've got three weeks to fix stuff and return to Road America for the ELVF. Another thing I should mention is that the SCCA folks couldn't have been nicer or easier to deal with... a lot has changed over the last 30 years!

Dave Brown

#13225 - 08/22/16 02:49 AM Re: Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others [Re: dcb]
zuzulo56 Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: Hollywood

Originally Posted By: dcb
OK, so here's the race report:
The car was very drivable. Perhaps a little understeer, but nothing at all evil or unpredictable. My driving was ham fisted, but the car did everything I asked it to do.
Dave Brown

Perfect! Did you, or anyone capture you/it with a camera...on the track or in the paddock?

[6321]

Edited by zuzulo56 (08/25/16 12:52 PM)

#13227 - 08/22/16 08:35 PM Re: Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline
Champion

I believe I found the transmission "leak" whistle

Some incompetent boob either didn't tighten the fill plug or left it out entirely... In this boob's defense, I never use the fill plug so I never thought to see if it was tight... yea, I know that's weak. But when you consider all the things I did right in the last two months to get the car to the track... yea, that's weak too.

At this point I should also bring up the tire gauge issue. The team garaged next to me was checking tire pressures and debating the accuracy of their gauge. I loaned them my brand new liquid filled, deluxe, sure to be dead on accurate tire gauge, and whereas theirs was reading 19.5 lbs. mine read 14lbs. So they ran on down to the Hoosier guy to see who's was right. It wasn't mine. This kinda explained why the wear pattern on my rain tires looked more like a bicycle tread. Point is that if you think you can trust your gauge, think again.

I should also mention that my rain tires are Avon CR500s. I never had occasion to use them before and they were awesome.

Dave Brown

#13228 - 08/23/16 07:52 AM Re: Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others [Re: dcb]
JFW Offline

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: dcb
I believe I found the transmission "leak" whistle

Some incompetent boob either didn't tighten the fill plug or left it out entirely... In this boob's defense, I never use the fill plug so I never thought to see if it was tight... yea, I know that's weak. But when you consider all the things I did right in the last two months to get the car to the track... yea, that's weak too.

Dave Brown

How did the drivers behind you feel about this Dave?

#13229 - 08/23/16 08:55 AM Re: Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others [Re: JFW]
dcb Offline
Champion

Originally Posted By: JFW

How did the drivers behind you feel about this Dave?

I don't know, they just seemed to disappear. whistle

DB

#13232 - 08/25/16 07:49 AM Re: Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others [Re: dcb]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Loc: Greenville, SC
Don't feel bad Dave, I feel your pain. At Waterford Hills the first session out, the tranny stopped being able to shift, I managed to find 3rd gear and make it back to the paddock. I found the slave cylinder push rod, clevis pin, and cotter pin were missing, then it hit me smile I was under the car in the shop, installing the slave push rod, and clevis pin and realized I forgot to take a new cotter pin under the car with me, so I got out from under the car to get one. Well about that time the phone rang and somebody had a tech question, well guess what the cotter pin got forgotten. It was no big deal to repair, I had spares, we repaired it all in about 5-10 minutes and were ready for the next session. Now most would think this was no big deal and would not affect me for the rest of the weekend, but that would prove to be untrue. I had never been to Waterford before and in each session I would would knock off 1.5-2 seconds of my lap times. Now when you consider I lost the entire first session to my competition, and at the end of the weekend I was exactly 1.6 seconds off the fast time of the weekend, that damn cotter pin was an expensive mistake, LOL smile

Edited by Hap Waldrop (08/25/16 07:55 AM)
MG/Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines
The Vintage Production Car Festival
https://www.facebook.com/vintageproductioncarfestival

#13233 - 08/25/16 07:59 AM Re: Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others [Re: dcb]
V8vairmike Offline
Winner

Years ago at Charlotte,In the Buick Powered McIntosh V8,coming off Nascar 4,some dummy didnt tighten the oil presure relief valve plug and it came loose spewing all its oil on the track and ending a great run (on the pole) And spitting the rod bearings out of the journals!
And yes my experience this year with SCCA at Roebling was very nice,a complete change from just 3 or 4 years ago. Mike

#13235 - 08/25/16 01:10 PM Re: Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others [Re: V8vairmike]
zuzulo56 Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: Hollywood

Heavy Weather!
Sven Mueller, Lindell Motorsport
Part 1/2

Part 2/2

Sven Mueller

[6654]

Edited by zuzulo56 (08/26/16 12:28 AM)

#13654 - 01/07/17 09:52 PM Re: Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others [Re: dcb]
ezanner Offline
Rookie

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Great build, best of success with it.
EZ

#13765 - 04/12/17 12:00 AM Re: Another helpful hint for Spridgets and others [Re: zuzulo56]
dcb Offline
Champion

Well, because I know you're all wondering what Dave Brown is doing this year, I thought I might show you. I decided to run this year with the 1500 style front bumper. I think it looks better and there maybe some aerodynamic advantage... you know, make it a little less like a shoe box and more like a... well, shoe box.

Anyway, I think it looks tidier this way. Another thing I've done is to modify the rear hoop to accommodate a better headrest. Because I don't particularly like the through the tunnel exhaust systems, I had a friend make me up a new LCB header that sucks everything up tight against the floor with an oval tailpipe. I don't have any really good photos of this, but it did gain an inch or more of clearance.

I've entered the SCCA majors race at Blackhawk for early next month. I've not done anything to improve the driver, so I'm working on making the car better to make up for that deficiency. I'm going to try to make the runoffs at Indy. The car and the driver are definitely old school, but the motor should be quite strong, so who knows, maybe I won't embarrass myself. One thing for sure is that I will enjoy it.

Dave Brown

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Carl Jensen R.I.P. 1943-2017
HSR ~ Next Event ~ The Mitty April 20-23
Formula Junior N.A. Calendar
VSCDA DRIVERS SCHOOL & Race ~ May 4-7
Waterford Hills Vintage Races ~ August 5-6
VARA News
Who's Online
1 registered (dynalead), 222 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
lostmybearing, jwgjr, &456, 510rcr, EricJD
728 Registered Users