by rick haynes
07/03/17 12:29 AM
Racing is dangerous.
by onthegrid
07/02/17 01:01 AM
AN fittings, braided lines, etc.
by onthegrid
07/02/17 12:45 AM
"Racy Gals"... Women Race Drivers (Past/Present)
by zuzulo56
07/01/17 01:24 PM
Jack Sutton / Ed Wilder Jaguar Special
by Disco Volante
06/29/17 12:03 AM
Performance shocks
by hoffman900
06/24/17 07:10 AM
In Hospital, again !... Richard Hammond.
by Tony21
06/22/17 10:35 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#13915 - 05/17/17 08:18 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
Firebird Offline
Professional

I dunno Mike, in a few years it might be mandatory. crazy

#13918 - 05/19/17 08:38 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Loc: Greenville, SC
Radios, hmm lets see, in my last 20 years of racing who I would have been talking to on a radio, my ex wife (who could not even remember what class I was in), my SCCA German crew chief, with a heavy German accent, or my current crew chief that is electronically challenged. It would rolled something like this, ex-wifey "I have no idea what place you are in, or what lap it is". The German and me would have said a lot of huhs, and whats. After a race of complete radio silence with Fred, he would ask me what button was he supposed to push again to talk to me. smile

I think I will save that money for tires smile
MG/Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines
The Vintage Production Car Festival
https://www.facebook.com/vintageproductioncarfestival

#13919 - 05/20/17 08:42 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
V8vairmike Offline
Winner

Seriously I would love to have a Radio set up, But like Hap there would be alot of "What","Huh" "whad You say" "Im Busy,Cant Talk" so maybe next enduro we will use a Pit Board like the old days. Mike

#13920 - 05/20/17 11:08 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: Hap Waldrop]
dcb Offline
Champion

Originally Posted By: Hap Waldrop
Radios, hmm lets see, in my last 20 years of racing who I would have been talking to on a radio, my ex wife (who could not even remember what class I was in), my SCCA German crew chief, with a heavy German accent, or my current crew chief that is electronically challenged. It would rolled something like this, ex-wifey "I have no idea what place you are in, or what lap it is". The German and me would have said a lot of huhs, and whats. After a race of complete radio silence with Fred, he would ask me what button was he supposed to push again to talk to me. smile

I think I will save that money for tires smile

Hap,

Great and funny post! It would be a little more believable if the ex wife comment was more like "what color is your car again?"

Dave B

#13921 - 05/20/17 01:09 PM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
V8vairmike Offline
Winner

Thats pretty much the way it goes now with Mary Anne in the same room.

#13922 - 05/20/17 07:00 PM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Loc: Greenville, SC
Originally Posted By: dcb

Hap,

Great and funny post! It would be a little more believable if the ex wife comment was more like "what color is your car again?"

Dave B

LOL, car color, oh I got a story for that too. First year racing, 2nd race ever, I am running lonely 2nd place at Road Atlanta, my buddy who got into this whole mess also raced a Spitfire very similar in color to my car. Late in the race going down the back straight all by my lonesome, I see tow girl standing at the fence on the back straight , waving their arms at me as I approached where they were standing, as I got closer to them, I noticed that is was my buddy's wife and her friend, my buddy's wife then flashes me. After the race, we are paddocked beside each other, my buddy's wife, ask her husband did you see me on the back straight, he had no idea what she was talking about, I told her, I saw you smile Moral of the story, it is important to know husband's car from their competitor's car.
MG/Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines
The Vintage Production Car Festival
https://www.facebook.com/vintageproductioncarfestival

#13923 - 05/21/17 01:34 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: Hap Waldrop]
zuzulo56 Offline
Hall of Fame

Loc: Hollywood
Originally Posted By: Hap Waldrop
...my buddy's wife then flashes me. After the race, we are paddocked beside each other, my buddy's wife, ask her husband did you see me on the back straight, he had no idea what she was talking about, I told her, I saw you smile

Certainly I hope, as you two talked, that you kept your composure, with an aire of detachment & more than a modicum of indifference...just like this dude:

It could have , for you & your effort, ended worse!

[955]

Edited by zuzulo56 (05/21/17 01:36 AM)

#13925 - 05/21/17 09:24 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
V8vairmike Offline
Winner

Back in my old imsa days,I had a piece of duct tape on the dash with the commands.
1 finger was Gas
2 fingers was tires
3 oil
middle finger was i cant go any faster.
We had no idea what our fuel mileage was,so at our first 3 hour we pitted at the half way mark. We learned that it only took one fuel can,(lots of spilled fuel that first time) then we figured we could go the distance with out a stop if we had a big enough surge tank.
There were only a few in the RS Series that had radios.
I dont know how we raced back then !!! So Crude smile

#13927 - 05/22/17 08:46 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: V8vairmike]
JFW Offline

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: V8vairmike

We had no idea what our fuel mileage was,so at our first 3 hour we pitted at the half way mark. We learned that it only took one fuel can,(lots of spilled fuel that first time) then we figured we could go the distance with out a stop if we had a big enough surge tank.
There were only a few in the RS Series that had radios.
I dont know how we raced back then !!! So Crude smile

When we ran the Plymouth Laser in '91, the motor would cut out in certain turns when it got to about a quarter tank. That's when we pitted.

I remember taking the tank out and cutting a big hole in the top. Then we made a "surge tank" out of a gallon lacquer thinner can. After that we could go quite a few laps further.

We also had an old Cobra CB for a radio.

Talk about crude!

#13928 - 05/22/17 10:50 PM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
V8vairmike Offline
Winner

I remember that Pit Stop like it was yesterday, when i came down pit road i barely got stopped, Russ Bales and David McIntosh were fueling me. I didnt know why Mark Raffauf from IMSA and the BFG guy was in our pit box. My High School buddy,Reggie told me I was 4th overall behind Downing,Baldwin and Showket, all on the same lap. For a bunch of 20 year old misfits we were flying that day. The Holly Carb throttle shaft broke with two laps to go as all four of us were within site of each other. I finished 10th. Best Race of my life! Oh what if that Carb hadnt broke ! Thats me behind Archer. Mike

Edited by V8vairmike (05/22/17 11:06 PM)

#13929 - 05/22/17 11:05 PM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
V8vairmike Offline
Winner

Oh Yea, Don Yenko and Jerry Thompson on the Pole in a Yenko Citation X11, broke on the 3rd lap !

#13930 - 05/23/17 01:12 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: V8vairmike]
dcb Offline
Champion

Originally Posted By: V8vairmike
Oh Yea, Don Yenko and Jerry Thompson on the Pole in a Yenko Citation X11, broke on the 3rd lap !

Rather pathetic to remember when we thought the Citation X-11 was a hot car...

Dave Brown

#13931 - 05/23/17 09:35 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
V8vairmike Offline
Winner

YUP, I remember going and looking at a Black X11 at the Dealer and thinking how cool it was, had the radio mounted vertical like an old vette. Wow were we hot rod deprived back then. Mike

#13979 - 06/09/17 11:47 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline
Champion

If you are as dumb as I am this may be important information for you. It appears that the likely cause of my ignition failure was the TIG welding that was done over the winter to my roll cage. As it turns out this is a commonly known problem with electronic ignition components that are left in the car when welding is performed. Nothing has to be on or even connected to the battery... apparently the ground wire is enough to let the voltage spikes from welding damage the circuitry in the box.

It doesn't necessarily wipe out the ignition box but can simply cause a bunch of stray and erratic problems. My first clue - which I ignored - was that the programmed curves were wiped out when I went to start the car this spring and I had to reprogram the box. Interestingly when I recently installed my old ignition box which hasn't been used for two years, the ignition curves were still intact.

Hope this saves one of you from repeating my mistake.

Dave Brown

#13980 - 06/10/17 09:21 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
Alfaromeo1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: IL
We mfg spreader and sprayer trucks for agriculture www.stahly.com and you must discconnect the batteries when welding on a vehicle of you run the risk of frying electronics. When you do not weld on a daily basis like we do it is easy to forget so good reminder Dave.

www.stahly.com
www.4qte.com

#14010 - 06/21/17 12:43 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: Alfaromeo1]
dcb Offline
Champion

Time to move on and comment on the SCCA June Sprints at Road America. In short, another outing like this and it may be time for me to find another hobby. I lost tennis and softball to my achilles tendon and stiff knees. Looks like I may be losing racing to the passage of time.

Every "improvement" I've made to the car needed to be, or will be, undone. The car was undriveable... (or am I unable?) The engine didn't help, and the ignition shut off problem was still there after changing everything about it EXCEPT the pickups. In desperation I installed the Electromotive system trackside and was able to run the whole race on Saturday and even drive back to my paddock space (that's an improvement over having to be towed. You know you have a problem when the tow truck guys compliment you on how well you keep the rope taught!)

Half way through the Sunday race I was on the tow hook again with a wasted engine (not to worry, it was a temp motor and not the Tabor. Still expensive though as I took out a brand new $400 starter motor and a like amount on the camshaft).

What has left me feeling down most of all was my driving. I was being a road block and was too stubborn to give up and let the guy get by. I wasn't blocking him, but I was slowing him down and should've recognized that. It's hard but necessary for all of us to recognize when we are the problem, and to move over and let someone get by you. I failed at that and that's what bugs me most about the weekend.

Once again let me say that the SCCA folks couldn't have been easier to deal with, and the Road America management is second to none. But it's time for me to regroup and realize that this is not going to be as easy a transition from vintage to all out racing as I had thought. The car needs a lot more understanding from me and I need a bunch more right-side seat time before I'll be able to show my face again.

Dave B

#14011 - 06/21/17 05:18 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
hoffman900 Offline
Champion

Loc: New Jersey
Dave,

I wouldn't be so quick to be down on yourself.

I think you need to ask yourself, what is it that you're doing here? You're racing a period piece, and even if it has a 4 link rear, it's probably not buying you much performance. Same goes for the coil-overs. Depending - they could even be hurting your handling. It's still a cool car, but it has 40yo period modifications (remember the late '70s are now 40 years ago).

You really have no other benchmark on the track. It seems you've handicapped yourself considerably and are taking it personally. Fix the car, get back out there, and just enjoy yourself. You look just fine in other's in-car videos. It's clear you're driving better than what the stop watch is showing.

Edited by hoffman900 (06/21/17 05:22 AM)

#14013 - 06/21/17 07:14 PM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
rick haynes Online   content
Amateur racer

I think Dave Browns post deserves some historical context. I met Dave during my 1st 2 years in F-P in 1985-86. Those were 2 very good years for me, 14 nationals wins 2 national championships,[with 1 returned to scca.] I state this only to emphasize just how good a car I had. Thanks to Bob at BHP it was the best car in central division by far and a much better car, more HP. than Dave was racing with. I only came close to getting beat twice and once was to Dave at a RA spring race.
Heres the set up.
We were sitting on the grid, 5 min sign is up, the sun was out in force, it was a very hot day ,,, and it starts to rain. not a down pour, just a light shower, the kind of rain that only lasts a few moments and turns a hot race track in to a skating rink. I saw a car spin on the warm up lap and I nearly did myself. One of the few times I was almost scared to be in a race car. At the start there were cars going off at every corners for a few laps and I was just happy to still be going straight and no one has hit me , and I am in 1st place despite driving as slow/fast as I think I can under the present track conditions. On the 3rd lap going into turn 5 I looked to my left just in time to see a yellow midget slide by with all 4 tires locked up and the driver sawing at the wheel trying to keep it on the road.
I remember thinking this was not what I wanted to deal with today on a slippery track , some local hero driving over his head and maybe taking me out before he inevitably gos off the track. How ever Dave did neither, he drove a clean race next to me, we traded the lead for about 8 laps, with both of us speeding up as the track dried. At some point Dave's clutch died and I was left wondering who that pain in the ass was. I don't remember talking to him afterward but from that race on I looked at the grid sheets for his name and paid close attention to the weather come race time.

Dave,I don't think you need to worry so much about your driving abilities or your race craft.

rick haynes

Edited by rick haynes (06/21/17 07:21 PM)

#14014 - 06/22/17 12:47 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: rick haynes]
dcb Offline
Champion

Aw shucks, now I'm embarrassed.

I really appreciate the comments, but what I meant to have said was more about how a little self appraisal of our driving is essential and to be mindful of the times when we are flailing about instead of driving competitively.

I could come up with a few excuses for my problems this past weekend but that would be ignoring the fact that I should've better understood what was happening and relaxed a bit. That's all I meant to say... that and I dread the thought of having to admit I've slowed up.

Dave B.

#14018 - 06/23/17 10:21 PM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
ETRP Offline
Driver

Loc: knoxville, tn
Dave,
Have you slowed down or are the newer cars faster? How did your lap times compare to your yellow car?

#14019 - 06/24/17 12:38 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: ETRP]
dcb Offline
Champion

I was about 2 seconds a lap slower than the yellow car was in 89, but 2 seconds a lap faster than Bob Hubbard's best time in 79. I was also no faster than my best time with the vintage car on vintage tires... BUT I had really screwed up the handling with the new shocks and springs I was trying and the motor wasn't helping either.

I'm going back to RA at the end of July, and hopefully I'll get a little redemption - about 5 seconds worth. Otherwise I'll have to do some pretty serious soul searching.

No one at the Sprints was near the lap record, but there were a lot of Miatas cruising about effortlessly. And of course Sargis dominated the small GTL field. I finished the Saturday race on the bumper of the 3rd place GTL car which was way way behind Sargis.

I still believe I can do OK, but everything needs to be working really well, and nothing was last weekend. I'm putting the restored Comptune motor on the dyno next week and if the results are good, I'll have one less excuse. I also believe I know what to do to correct the handling problem.... we'll see. I'm writing off the 1500 bumper for the time being. I just can't get it to work with cooling the engine.

And the ignition which failed twice again over the weekend is going on an extended vacation while I stick with the Electromotive system that worked.

I just can't believe that I'll continue to screw up. Eventually I'll get it right... I hope.

Dave B

#14020 - 06/24/17 07:08 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
hoffman900 Offline
Champion

Loc: New Jersey
Dave,

As said before, I think as long as you are just a little faster than you were in '89, than that would be great.

Keep in mind that the Saurino's have been in the 2:33s there in a legal 1275cc car, but those cars are in a different world than the old Hubbard car.

Springs I get, but what do you feel is wrong with the shocks?

#14022 - 06/25/17 12:51 AM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: hoffman900]
dcb Offline
Champion

Originally Posted By: hoffman900
Dave,

As said before, I think as long as you are just a little faster than you were in '89, than that would be great.

Keep in mind that the Saurino's have been in the 2:33s there in a legal 1275cc car, but those cars are in a different world than the old Hubbard car.

Springs I get, but what do you feel is wrong with the shocks?

You have me curious. I can only find that Saurino (Nigel) was at Road America for the 2010 (maybe 2011) June Sprints and his best time was a 2:38. Harold Fleisher's time of something like 2:35 is the fastest Spridget time at RA that I've ever known of. The problem is not HP, or even handling, it's aerodynamics. To get to the low 30's you need to be able to see 130+mph in a couple of places. Despite what you saw from Huffaker at Daytona, 130+mph is nigh-on impossible for a Spridget - and it aint about HP. The Miata's do it in their sleep

I'm "pretty" confident of breaking into the 2:30's with this car once I clear it, and my head, of all the problems - the problems were that severe. On another note, after looking at the FP records at Road America, it seems that every decade they drop about 4 seconds... I find that amazing.

Dave B

#14037 - 07/10/17 11:28 PM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
dcb Offline
Champion

The end of one

and the beginning of another...Yup, that's old Fordboy himself, and somewhere in there is the little A-Series engine.

I finally got the old Comptune motor together and on the dyno. Things started out a little shaky but in the end I think this will remind some that Dave Tabor was one of the best A series tuners of all time.

Dave Brown

#14039 - 07/12/17 09:56 PM Re: Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors [Re: dcb]
tabs Offline
Winner

Did he do a "California" pull to show a good number? lol
Steve

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Carl Jensen R.I.P. 1943-2017
The WIC at Road America ~ July 20 - 23
Formula Junior N.A. Calendar
HSR ~ Next Event ~ The Mitty April 20-23
VARA News
Who's Online
0 registered (), 243 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
littleredcorvette, Davey, Disco Volante, robinversion2, Tony21
735 Registered Users