HOSTING FEES DUE AGAIN ~ "ain't too proud to beg"
WARNING !!!!
Waterford Hills Vintage Races ~ August 5-6
Put-In-Bay ~ August 27 ~ 30
CSRG Sonoma ~ Sep 29-Oct 1
Track Day Zone
by TrackDayZone
08/20/17 01:27 PM
Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car!
by Mike Clifford
08/18/17 09:21 PM
Dave Brown's comments on the SCCA Blackhawk Majors
by Hap Waldrop
08/17/17 08:23 AM
VDCA at Roebling Road
by Gruffalo
08/15/17 08:42 AM
Prod Cars at vintage events
by Benci96
08/09/17 02:05 AM
Coffield mkII H/Mod.
by zuzulo56
08/03/17 01:33 AM
Triumph crank and pan
by Firebird
07/31/17 09:35 AM
"Racy Gals"... Women Race Drivers (Past/Present)
by Amélie Renoncule
07/30/17 02:35 AM
Performance shocks
by rick haynes
07/27/17 11:54 PM
Road America event
by rick haynes
07/25/17 11:40 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14043 - 07/15/17 09:58 AM Group 1 "shootout"?
dcb Offline
Champion

The thought occurred to me that while the small car turnout is disappearing in the only
"national" vintage organization, it really is quite robust in the small clubs. So... how about the idea of a once a year national event just for the under two liter cars? An event supported a sponsored by a collaboration among the smaller regional clubs like VDCA, VSCDA and so forth, and based on the original SCCA classes that the cars raced in in the day.

Choose a good small car track, like Mid-Ohio, Hallet, or ?

Any thoughts or agreement out there?

Dave Brown

#14044 - 07/15/17 10:51 AM Re: Group 1 "shootout"? [Re: dcb]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Loc: Greenville, SC
It worked for the SCCA prod group with our Prod Fest race at VIR in Novemeber, even in the beginning we got newly crowned runoffs champ to show up and race, we had a prod and GTL only field/group/race. The event flourished mostly because of the prod racing forum, and three of us working to get folks interested, Rick Starkweather got event sponsors, which provided funds for the throphies, and we had door prizes, I help set u site for Prod fest Swag and helped market it, and Mark Coffin worked his arse off, and hosted the prod fest Saturday night social. WE always had good fields, and good mixture of both national and regional racers. I think the key to the Prod Fest success was a forum where the SCCA prod community all hung out, we lack that with our vintage prod race cars, so harder to get the word out.

It seems in vintage, folks are more interested in having make/model focus events , over class type focus events, however FV and FF do have class type focus events. The MGVR, MG only focus event is great race to go to, if you race a MG. AS you all know I tried with the vintage prod fest and I think we got more entries with it, than without it, it was just more than I could take on.

On the topics of venues, how about Road Atlanta in Nov., you know like the old days. VDCA now has that date there, I jokingly suggested we call that race weekend "The Still Running Offs" smile
MG/Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines
The Vintage Production Car Festival
https://www.facebook.com/vintageproductioncarfestival

#14048 - 07/16/17 02:51 PM Re: Group 1 "shootout"? [Re: dcb]
rick haynes Offline
Amateur racer

Dave

I think I remember a race some what like that took place at the end of every year at Watkins Glen, it brought together a large group of small bore cars, big fields, great racing. I wonder what happened to it? And what was the vintage organization that ran it? ,,are they still in the vintage car racing business anymore? It's been so long ago I forget.

I would go to such a race again , just to see the cars that might show up.

rick haynes

#14049 - 07/17/17 06:30 AM Re: Group 1 "shootout"? [Re: dcb]
dynalead Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Armonk, NY

Carl Jensen R.I.P. 1943-2017
Formula Junior N.A. Calendar
HSR ~ Next Event ~ Atlanta Fall Historics / Sep. 14 - 17
VARA News
Who's Online
1 registered (Mike Clifford), 287 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jim1071, Jay Chapman, Benci96, Glashaus, littleredcorvette
739 Registered Users