WARNING !!!!
Put-In-Bay ~ Sept. 24-27, 2018 MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
IT'S B-A-C-K !
by zuzulo56
12/08/17 01:48 AM
Did I miss the bigger picture?
by rick haynes
12/05/17 02:22 PM
Track Day Zone
by TrackDayZone
12/05/17 01:09 PM
TATRA T603...etc.
by zuzulo56
12/04/17 11:42 AM
2017 Goodwood Revival
by zuzulo56
12/02/17 02:33 PM
FIA Homologation Forms for 3250+ cars released
by JFW
12/01/17 11:49 AM
2017 Vintage HANDICAP Race: Muscle Cars fr. New Zealand
by zuzulo56
11/28/17 12:01 AM
I sold my shop building, now what :)
by Mike U.
11/27/17 09:37 AM
A new class idea?
by hoffman900
11/27/17 07:49 AM
11 Months on the grid. Waterford Hills turns 60 next year.
by Doug Escriva
11/17/17 05:04 PM
A Happening On That Race Track Called 'Freeway'
by Amélie Renoncule
11/12/17 12:49 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14090 - 08/09/17 09:35 PM Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car!
Mike Clifford Offline
Amateur racer

Loc: Hopewell Junction, NY
I'm pretty excited
Alright, that's an understatement.

I got it not only as an awesome new car to have at the shop and drive, but hopefully as a way for more people to try out vintage racing! Since the 240Z is such a durable and friendly platform, I'm toying with the idea of using this car for people who:
A) Are new to the sport and want to know what it's like on track. I'm going to install a second seat and harness so I can take people on track and give them a taste of vintage racing!
B) Want to get a license but don't have a car. This car would be a great way for someone to get their vintage racing license without having to buy a car first. As a bonus, they can use the experience to see what they would and wouldn't like in the car they end up with!
C) Want to race, but don't have a car. This car could be used as a rental so people can see what a weekend of vintage racing is like without the pressure of bringing a car to the track. This could also work for someone whose primary car is out of service for whatever reason.

It's hopefully also a great way to show people we can work on things other than British cars (as much as we love them).

No matter what, I absolutely can't wait to get back to the shop and start working on it! It's already race-ready but I have some ideas for further improvement laugh
I'm really looking forward to this!

#14091 - 08/10/17 08:34 PM Re: Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car! [Re: Mike Clifford]
rick haynes Offline
Amateur racer

Good looking car.
And I have a lot of 240-280 z parts I am looking to sell if you are missing any thing.

rick haynes

#14092 - 08/10/17 09:17 PM Re: Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car! [Re: rick haynes]
Mike Clifford Offline
Amateur racer

Originally Posted By: rick haynes
Good looking car.
And I have a lot of 240-280 z parts I am looking to sell if you are missing any thing.

rick haynes

Hey Rick, thanks! It never hurts to find out what you have, send me a PM and I'll see if we can help each other out smile

In other news, I've got some short videos! The car sounds mean in person.

https://flic.kr/p/WmVPCv

https://flic.kr/p/WjyXXm

If anyone knows how to embed video from Flickr, I'm a new user and I can't figure it out.

#14093 - 08/11/17 12:24 AM Re: Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car! [Re: rick haynes]
rick haynes Offline
Amateur racer

rick haynes
614 231 7194

Edited by rick haynes (08/11/17 12:25 AM)

#14094 - 08/12/17 10:12 AM Re: Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car! [Re: Mike Clifford]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Loc: Greenville, SC
I'll throw this put there too, my hording friend smile Fred Thomas, many moons ago, worked in a shop where a customer had 240Z, it needed a engine rebuild, they disassemble the entire engine, and cleaned it, then the customer decided to buy a used engine, the shop owner gave Fred the 240z. I don't know shike about a 240Z engine, but we have been told, this was the engine assembly one would want to build race engine from. Long story short 25 years later, he still has in his shop, and would gladly sell it. He also has my last three worn out, and broken air compressors, he's gonna fix some day smile OH and if any of you are in need of top notch commercial grade block cleaner that needs a little love to get going again, he's got that thing parked in my shop (it is three phase) and I sure would love to see it go somewhere else, so I claim that corner of my shop back, damn hoarders, lol smile

Edited by Hap Waldrop (08/12/17 10:13 AM)
MG/Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines
The Vintage Production Car Festival
https://www.facebook.com/vintageproductioncarfestival

#14095 - 08/14/17 10:12 AM Re: Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car! [Re: Hap Waldrop]
Mike Clifford Offline
Amateur racer

Originally Posted By: rick haynes
rick haynes
614 231 7194

Thanks Rick, I'll give a call when I get a chance!

Originally Posted By: Hap Waldrop
I'll throw this put there too, my hording friend smile Fred Thomas, many moons ago, worked in a shop where a customer had 240Z, it needed a engine rebuild, they disassemble the entire engine, and cleaned it, then the customer decided to buy a used engine, the shop owner gave Fred the 240z. I don't know shike about a 240Z engine, but we have been told, this was the engine assembly one would want to build race engine from. Long story short 25 years later, he still has in his shop, and would gladly sell it. He also has my last three worn out, and broken air compressors, he's gonna fix some day smile OH and if any of you are in need of top notch commercial grade block cleaner that needs a little love to get going again, he's got that thing parked in my shop (it is three phase) and I sure would love to see it go somewhere else, so I claim that corner of my shop back, damn hoarders, lol smile

C'mon Hap, I may not have the liquidity of my customers but I still have the same desire for bits! laugh I'll look over what's in this engine and see if having a spare around would be helpful.

#14101 - 08/17/17 08:37 AM Re: Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car! [Re: Mike Clifford]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Well Rick is closer to you for sure, but this one is there for whoever needs it and since Fred has had for 20+ years I doubt it fly out of the shop tomorrow smile

#14102 - 08/17/17 08:37 AM Re: Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car! [Re: Mike Clifford]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Well Rick is closer to you for sure, but this one is there for whoever needs it and since Fred has had for 20+ years I doubt it fly out of the shop tomorrow smile

#14103 - 08/17/17 10:04 AM Re: Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car! [Re: Mike Clifford]
Mike Clifford Offline
Amateur racer

I've been having some fun coming up with potential liveries for the Datsun, and I'd like to get some opinions! Which do you think looks best? Any other ideas I should try? The colors came out a bit funky for some reason, but it's the same color scheme the Ginetta uses:

#14104 - 08/18/17 08:52 AM Re: Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car! [Re: Mike Clifford]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Wow those all look good, blue and yellow work well together. If I have to pick a favorite I like type 1 and type 2, Type 2 may make for less cockpit temps on a hot race weekend, but overall like type 1 best.

Looking at these photos, it is clear to see Mike you have good taste, and get color contrast, something we guys don't always excel at smile

#14105 - 08/18/17 09:21 PM Re: Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car! [Re: Mike Clifford]
Mike Clifford Offline
Amateur racer

Thanks Hap, I was just lucky I knew which colors to use ahead of time smile

I'm leaning towards the first style myself, though I've enjoyed hearing others' opinions about them. Interestingly, most racers have gone for type 1 and most Datsun owners have gone for type 3.

#14138 - 09/18/17 08:21 PM Re: Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car! [Re: Mike Clifford]
Mike Clifford Offline
Amateur racer

The Z's first race weekend with me is over, and it went great! The car had no issues, it ran great, and I had an absolute blast learning about it! The welded rear was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to learning how to make one work. The road gearing is a bit wider than ideal but very usable, and once I started double-clutching the gearbox worked very well. I surprised a lot of people with the car's pace, including myself! I can't wait to get the car out again as we continue to make improvements. Pictures coming soon!

Carl Jensen R.I.P. 1943-2017
VARA News
Who's Online
2 registered (JFW, dynalead), 263 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mosportracer, exebyrov, David Irwin, Classic Miata Motorsports, SCTR6
748 Registered Users