Put-In-Bay ~ Sept. 24-27, 2018 MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!
Sebring 12 Hour Support Races, March 14-17 HSR
HSR Mitty, April 27-29
RACING ENGINES, A TECHNICAL EXAMINATION
by Alfaromeo1
02/15/18 07:14 PM
Evolution - what does it mean... if anything
by Hap Waldrop
02/12/18 07:58 AM
TATRA T603...etc.
by Amélie Renoncule
02/08/18 11:46 PM
I've finally finished my new shop website!
by JFW
02/05/18 12:33 PM
AS Mustang Question
by mercougar67
01/31/18 09:34 AM
Race: 2018 Rolex 24 At Daytona
by Amélie Renoncule
01/29/18 04:23 PM
Qualifying: 2018 Rolex 24 At Daytona
by Amélie Renoncule
01/27/18 07:55 PM
New Administrator / Forum Director
by zuzulo56
01/26/18 01:33 PM
VSCDA Vintage Spirit - Holiday Issue 2017
by TopGearTech
01/23/18 01:24 PM
VSCDA Early Bird Membership
by TopGearTech
01/23/18 01:22 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14375 - 01/22/18 06:49 PM New Administrator / Forum Director
JFW Offline

Loc: Florida
After 7 years of trying to build a meaningful forum for folks to come, share, vent, brag, admonish, and learn about the ins and outs of Vintage Racing, I am turning the reins over.

No, sadly, I haven't been bought out by Google. In fact this is a handshake deal.

I would grade the success as a C+ perhaps. The one thing that never happened was a universal place for sharing where I saw a void. We started just when social media began to take hold and forums became rather dated.

Roughly 90% of the people who signed up for a "membership" never posted one thing. Over 50% never came back after they joined!

The core group that remains loyal amounts to about 10 people.

The new "owner" is John Zicco.

John is a VSCDA member and is their Webmaster.

I feel confident that John will take VRRF to a higher level of professionalism.

I will stay on as consultant.

One thing that is important to me is that the archives remain intact and accessible to all. There is a priceless wealth of information that needs to be preserved.

I also want to thank Ronnie Marinko (Marin); zuzulo56 and his alter ego Amelie Renoncule.

Ronnie has made 2422 posts
(dcb) is a far second with 1014!

John will be introducing himself ASAP and I hope y'all will offer your opinions on what you want to see happen going forward.

Cheers,

#14376 - 01/22/18 07:17 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
joel hershoren Offline
Driver

Loc: Royal Oak Michigan
Wow, that counts as the Vintage racing news headline of the year.

Thanks for creating , care taking, and babysitting the site Jack.
Thankfully i never had to witness the need for you to heard kittens or censure folks.

All forums have suffered a bit due to social media.
I admit i frequent maybe 3 of the 15 i used to watch all of 4 years ago.

Best of luck and thanks to the new chap,

Joel

#14377 - 01/22/18 07:55 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
Alfaromeo1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: IL
Thanks for your hard work and all your effort Jack.

I have enjoyed the forum it yes it would have been nice if there was more participation and sharing of ideas.

I hope the new owner can take it to a new level give us a fun place to visit, share and learn.

One tip I would like to offer the new owner is when someone like Ric has a hard on for a vintage race orgainization or anything for that matter is to let them get it off there chest one time and one time only. Nobody likes the non-stop child like pathetic rants over and over and it took away from the forum there is enough negativity in the world today, Vintage Racing is a place to get away from all that crap.

Terry

Edited by Alfaromeo1 (01/23/18 09:11 AM)

www.stahly.com
www.4qte.com

#14378 - 01/22/18 08:07 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: Alfaromeo1]
fordboy628 Offline
Professional

Loc: NE Illinois
Jack,

Thanks for all your hard work.

Yes, more participation would have been great, but, like the LSR board, just a hard core few put up the majority of the info/posts/whatever.

I hope you get some well deserved time off to relax. Life is too short.

Cheers!

Without "data", you are just another guy with a theory or an opinion . . . .

Someone who thinks logically is a nice contrast to the real world . . . .

#14379 - 01/23/18 12:09 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: fordboy628]
dcb Online   content
Legend

See ya later Jack! It has been a thankless job, but not a waste of time. There were many engaging and heated debates that certainly mirrored the vintage racing issues of the day.

I guess I see your departure as further evidence of the transition the sport/hobby is undergoing and it saddens me.

Here's to some better days for all of us.

Dave Brown

#14380 - 01/23/18 12:31 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
rick haynes Offline
Amateur racer

Jack
I thank you also, I have enjoyed all the give and take and the opportunities to voice my opinions publicly over the years. I have no doubt each post had the desired affect it was meant to have with all the intended targets, as evidenced by Terry's post today. But unlike Terry I hope the forum remains a place where the free flow of Ideas and controversial points of views will continue to be welcomed.
Remembering that only small minds are troubled by points of views they don't like.

rick haynes

Edited by rick haynes (01/23/18 12:44 AM)

#14381 - 01/23/18 08:59 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: dcb]
JFW Offline

Originally Posted By: dcb
See ya later Jack! It has been a thankless job, but not a waste of time. There were many engaging and heated debates that certainly mirrored the vintage racing issues of the day.

I guess I see your departure as further evidence of the transition the sport/hobby is undergoing and it saddens me.

Here's to some better days for all of us.

Dave Brown

Thanks for the accolades from all.

However, contrary to rumors of my departure...I am not going away.

In fact, in my opinion, Vintage Racing is as healthy as ever, but in ways different than what we had 20-30 years ago. Most organizations appear to have stable financial platforms, at least from the outside looking in.

The dynamic shift to more modern cars is very predictable in hindsight. We were very naive in 1985 to think that 1972 would be an absolute timeline that would never be violated.

Being "sad" about this trend is self defeating. If you are good at what you do, you can carve a niche like Dave has.

I keep getting applications at HSR for "new" builds of older cars. I think we have a veritable smorgasbord of venues...so in that respect, it has never been better.

#14382 - 01/23/18 09:10 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: Alfaromeo1]
JFW Offline

Originally Posted By: Alfaromeo1
Thanks for your hard work and all your effort Jack.

I have enjoyed the forum it yes it would have been nice if there was more participation and sharing of ideas.

I hope the new owner can take it to a new level give us a fun place to visit, share and learn.

One tip I would like to offer the new owner is when someone like Ric has a hard on for a vintage race orgainization or anything for that matter is to let them get it off there chest one time and one time only. Nobody the non-stop child like pathetic rants over and over and it took away from the forum.

Terry

Thanks Terry.

One of my original concepts was to provide a place where folks could vent and call out their displeasures with the various organizations they had "issues" with.

At that time I fully expected that all the organizations had issues worthy of discussions. I had no idea that it would be so focused on primarily only one.

I wanted open, unrestricted but civil, discourse. Rick was the only one who I ever banned, but it was only after many warnings about being repetitive to the point of nauseation. He never said anything that was not on other people's minds, but he just wouldn't move on.

The truth is that whenever Rick was active, the viewership numbers went off the chart!

#14383 - 01/23/18 12:44 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
Peter Maehling Offline
Rookie

Loc: Brighton MI
Jack,
Thank you for your years of service to the vintage racing world, and I look forward to your next projects!
72rsr
Peter Maehling

#14384 - 01/23/18 01:04 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
TopGearTech Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Greetings everyone, John Zicco here.

First and foremost, I just want to say that this is a great community. Thank you all for your contributions over the years. I am very much looking forward to becoming part of this community, improving things where I can and most importantly: Preserving something I am very passionate about: Vintage Racing!

Some Background:

I've spent the last 20 years focused on software and web design. I have helped build a few successful forums, most notably InsideChicago and ChicagoMusicResponse.

I currently run Top Gear Technologies in Chicago IL which is focused on providing web sites, hosting and I.T. Solutions to small businesses around the world. I am also the official webmaster of VSCDA.

As I get to know some of you, I hope to leverage your ideas on how we can improve the website and grow the community.

-jz

#14387 - 01/23/18 10:26 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
rick haynes Offline
Amateur racer

Jack

Yes, I still sting from the humiliation of your public rebuke but it was the knowledge that right was on my side that sustained me in the dark days of my banishment.

rick haynes

Edited by rick haynes (01/23/18 10:51 PM)

#14388 - 01/24/18 12:41 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
zuzulo56 Offline

Loc: Hollywood
Originally Posted By: JFW

However, contrary to rumors of my departure...I am not going away.

Well saddle-pal, the trail's been long...and hard at times. Few ever really knew of all the effort that you expended in this site's creation & upkeep. NOT a meager amount.
It will be of interest to see if your future postings are, as a 'street-corner Jack', as interesting & insightful, as yours were as the major domo of VRRF. eek
Proud the consider you a friend !

[147]

Edited by zuzulo56 (01/24/18 12:42 AM)

#14389 - 01/24/18 01:48 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: TopGearTech]
zuzulo56 Offline

Originally Posted By: TopGearTech
As I get to know some of you, I hope to leverage your ideas on how we can improve the website and grow the community.
-jz

And a Tip Of The Hat to you, Johnny Z. ... AND :

NOW...to business...i.e., a few IDEAS:
1.) Make the "SEARCH" function more intuitive. I seem to never be able to proper employ it.

2.) My pet-project, the TATRA thread (TT), ALMOST 1 Million world-wide views, took a big hit, when those extortionists at PhotoBucket did me dirty...so many of my still shots were killed. I would very much like to edit the posts affected, & replace those pics. But...BUT I say, many the those posts have 'lost' the EDIT button at the bottom ! So I am prevented.
Where oh where did it go ?

[147]

Edited by zuzulo56 (01/24/18 01:55 AM)

#14391 - 01/24/18 02:28 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: TopGearTech]
Amélie Renoncule Offline
Professional

Loc: Saint-Denis, Paris, France
Originally Posted By: TopGearTech

First and foremost, I just want to say that this is a great community. Thank you all for your contributions over the years. I am very much looking forward to becoming part of this community, improving things where I can and most importantly: Preserving something I am very passionate about: Vintage Racing!

-jz

0808 EET
Bonjour, Ravi de vous rencontrer monsieur ! <> Happy to meet you sir !

Edited by Amélie Renoncule (01/24/18 02:34 AM)
https://vimeo.com/user11005302
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC41u_4gjAEf8m7nKDsnNSPw

#14392 - 01/24/18 09:01 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: zuzulo56]
JFW Offline

Originally Posted By: zuzulo56

2.) My pet-project, the TATRA thread (TT), ALMOST 1 Million world-wide views, took a big hit, when those extortionists at PhotoBucket did me dirty...so many of my still shots were killed. I would very much like to edit the posts affected, & replace those pics. But...BUT I say, many the those posts have 'lost' the EDIT button at the bottom ! So I am prevented.
Where oh where did it go ?[/color][/size]

I have made you a moderator Ronnie...does that give you an Edit button?

#14394 - 01/24/18 01:25 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
zuzulo56 Offline

Originally Posted By: JFW

Where oh where did it go ?[/color][/size]

I have made you a moderator Ronnie...does that give you an Edit button?

Nope:

NOTE:
I errored-somewhat in not pointing out that all of those posts are sans EDIT button...UNTIL you reach the 9 th. page. The entry below begins to show them again !:

#14395 - 01/24/18 01:38 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: zuzulo56]
JFW Offline

NOTE:
I errored-somewhat in not pointing out that all of those posts are sans EDIT button...UNTIL you reach the 9 th. page. The entry below begins to show them again !:[/color][/size]

No clue.....

Perhaps John Z. can research that.

#14400 - 01/25/18 06:37 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
hoffman900 Offline
Champion

Loc: New Jersey
Jack, thanks for your efforts over the years and hosting this platform.

#14404 - 01/26/18 02:01 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
onthegrid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Cnr Walk and dont Walk, So Cal
Jack:
I have enjoyed your forum from the beginning..... I call it a upscale forum because there are "down to business" folks posting....well almost all with one or two exceptions grin.

I am in touch with the Vintage Scene in the U.S. mostly in the West Coast and have been active there over almost 20 years. I have seen the rules creep which is inevitable, and I don't like it, but some one (another Clubs' official) told me one time that "just go with the flow".

I like the technical side and do all my prep myself and enjoy the pictures here of Ti, Unobtanium and high zoot motors. And where else can you get the hot setups on the latest Tatras....RIGHT HERE!!

So Jack, soldier on with the new and the best to you and the new owner...keep it up and possibly get more folks of "quality" involved and posting on all of we all do.

OTG

#14409 - 01/26/18 01:33 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: onthegrid]
zuzulo56 Offline

Originally Posted By: onthegrid
Jack,
And where else can you get the hot setups on the latest Tatras....RIGHT HERE!!

OTG

A Tip of the Hat To you Sir !...for your wonderful discernment and wit.

[386]

Edited by zuzulo56 (01/26/18 01:34 PM)

Otto Linton R.I.P.
VARA News
Rolex 24 at Daytona, RESULTS
Who's Online
1 registered (dcb), 273 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PeaceFairy05, ottolady143, mercougar67, WSR00, 75RD350
754 Registered Users