Put-In-Bay ~ Sept. 24-27, 2018 MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!
HSR Mitty, April 27-29
Forum Migration to Xenforo Platform
by TopGearTech
0 seconds ago
Did I miss the bigger picture?
by Alfaromeo1
05/18/18 08:24 PM
New Administrator / Forum Director
by Racers Anonymous
05/16/18 11:51 PM
TATRA T603...etc.
by zuzulo56
05/16/18 11:33 AM
AS Mustang Question
by Mike Clifford
04/27/18 01:12 AM
MGB rod bearing failures, here's my plan
by zuzulo56
04/26/18 01:22 PM
Diminutive Engines...Skinny Tyres...Good Racing.
by zuzulo56
04/24/18 12:32 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14475 - 02/23/18 08:58 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: ]
JFW Online   content

Loc: Florida
I stand by what I said Rick. Tony has no influence over me.

Call him if you want that verified. LOL.

#14476 - 02/23/18 10:15 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
dynalead Offline
Amateur racer

Loc: Armonk, NY
Thank you Jack for all you have accomplished for vintage racing.

#14477 - 02/23/18 02:49 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: ]
JFW Online   content

Originally Posted By: rick haynes

What changed was your personal tolerance of my attitudes about Tony and maybe to a lesser degree a realization on your part it was good for attendance.

Not as benign a reason as you infer, but instead just your personal agenda at play..

rick haynes

OK Rick...you win. I have only so much tolerance for antisocial and borderline psychopathic behavior.

I apologize to the rest of the survivors here that I didn't take your advice.

Rather than legitimize this response I have decided to simply eliminate the source.

#14478 - 02/23/18 03:43 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Loc: Greenville, SC
Lots of kicking going on today, some cat over the MGEX forum got kicked to door today for a political rant. So Jack it could be worse smile
MG/Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines
The Vintage Production Car Festival
https://www.facebook.com/vintageproductioncarfestival

#14481 - 02/23/18 08:10 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
hoffman900 Offline
Champion

Loc: New Jersey
I don't know Rick, have no opinion of the guy, but the 30,000ft view of him is he wears out his welcome just about everywhere he goes crazy

#14483 - 02/25/18 12:50 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
ProCoach Offline
Champion

Loc: Virginia International Raceway
Jack, thanks for the thankless job of creating this forum and nursing it along.

You and I talked a lot about the benefits of a centralized resource for clubs, drivers, crew and prep shops, especially with regard to historically accurate "snapshots in time" Production car and Sedan homologation.

It's still a worthy goal, but that remains an incredible challenge with the variety and personal interpretations different clubs and organizations have.

I think you and I have always had the appropriate reverence for the GCR, PCS and FIA Group 1 and 2 regulations, but few folks are interested in following those, and the clubs even less.

Good luck to the new administrator.

There's a lot of good stuff here, but also a lot of rot that has stymied growth for the last several years.

This forum stalled out around 635-650 members quickly within the first two years, and has only crept up very slowly since then.

Most folks I know who are aware of the list got tired of a very few posters who contributed little other than contentious, personal posts against one individual and a whole plethora of perceived slights. It really highjacked the whole mission and vision of the forum, IMO.

Thanks again and we'll see you at the track!
"The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable"
www.peterkrause.net

#14489 - 02/27/18 06:53 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Rick is Rick, not a real bad guy, just rides a dead horse to the ground when he sees something he thinks is wrong.

For years Rick would bitch to anyone who would listen about the SCCA open prod car roll cages. Here for years Rick has bitched about SVRA screwing up prod racing.

Now maybe you all don't like his method, but he is 1000% correct in both cases. With that said Rick has to learn you can draw more flies with honey than you can with shit. Going after Jack with accusations was a bad move, it accomplished nothing other than getting him booted. There is an art to negotiations, and Rick doesn't know this art. I known Rick for a while and I can tell there are two Ricks for sure, one will drive you freaking nuts, and the other is a good guy.

Jack you did what you felt you had to do, I don't blame you for this, just kind of sad it had to happen, but Rick did ask for it.

Oh well, life goes on.

#14490 - 02/27/18 08:59 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: Hap Waldrop]
Alfaromeo1 Online   content
Enthusiast

Loc: IL
The only side we saw on this forum was bad and over and over so I am glad he's gone.

Thanks Jack!

www.stahly.com
www.4qte.com

#14491 - 02/27/18 10:11 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
joel hershoren Offline
Driver

Loc: Royal Oak Michigan
Well put Hap,
I enjoy reading all your posts. Even if i were to disagree with a point, i never feel that i need to counter, instead i feel compelled to re-read and think about it. I attempt to read everything with a grain of salt.
More often for me, it is not what is said, but how it is said.
I look at it his way.
Even a broken clock is correct twice a day, and no expert knows everything. The only person who never says anything stupid, is the person who never speaks. Not just here, but everywhere. ( not a comment about Mr Haynes or anybody ) just an overall.
I wish Mr Haynes the very best.
Having removed people from my own group(s) managed , i can tell you ( for me anyway ) there is little satisfaction doing so. One feels unhappy about being put in that position, and simply does what has to be done.

Cheers.

#14492 - 02/27/18 02:07 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: joel hershoren]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Originally Posted By: joel hershoren
Well put Hap,
I enjoy reading all your posts. Even if i were to disagree with a point, i never feel that i need to counter, instead i feel compelled to re-read and think about it. I attempt to read everything with a grain of salt.
More often for me, it is not what is said, but how it is said.
I look at it his way.
Even a broken clock is correct twice a day, and no expert knows everything. The only person who never says anything stupid, is the person who never speaks. Not just here, but everywhere. ( not a comment about Mr Haynes or anybody ) just an overall.
I wish Mr Haynes the very best.
Having removed people from my own group(s) managed , i can tell you ( for me anyway ) there is little satisfaction doing so. One feels unhappy about being put in that position, and simply does what has to be done.

Cheers.

Yep the written often times gets misunderstood. I guess that is what makes good writer good, their ability to get the emotion sin what they write across, the rest of us not so much, hard to tell sometimes if someone is pissed, or just joking. People often ask me if I am mad, based on what I wrote and almost always the answer is no.

#14507 - 04/05/18 10:37 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
TopGearTech Online   content
VRR Admin

Loc: Chicago, IL
Hey guys, just thought I'd post a quick update:

1. Me and my team over at Top Gear Technologies are currently brainstorming ideas for board improvements, new technology and functionality. We are researching other communities and looking for great ideas we can incorporate into VRR version 2.0. At the very least, we will probably port the existing forum into a newer technology (don't worry, all existing content and information will be preserved!).

2. I've had a few productive conversations with existing members and received some awesome ideas and feedback. Thank you to everyone who has contributed, if anyone else has an idea that hasn't been mentioned, please feel free to share.

3. Regarding time-frame for new changes: We are still working on this... Things have been busy with my web design business and my wife is due with our first child in July. Once we finalize our plan (with VRR, not the child!), I'll share the details with you all.

Thanks everyone for your continued support! grin

#14530 - 04/25/18 10:55 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
Hap Waldrop Offline
Champion

Cool, this is a very dated format.

Edited by Hap Waldrop (05/03/18 06:54 AM)

#14533 - 04/26/18 04:23 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
Phillip Reith Offline
Wannabe

Loc: Waukesha, WI
Originally Posted By: JFW
The dynamic shift to more modern cars is very predictable in hindsight. We were very naive in 1985 to think that 1972 would be an absolute timeline that would never be violated.

Thank you for conceding this, it has long since been a contention of mine. There's a rich history, up through the early 80's at a minimum, that should be tapped . Bending over backwards to stick to a period where things were in many ways dictated by necessity, and basically just lived with, never made sense.

Regarding Rick. As an occasional visitor to the forum, while repetitive, I found he dropped truth bombs, whether you liked it or not. Perhaps he had a vendetta with the SVRA, but I'll come out and say it - the fact that the SVRA section no longer exists on this forum I do find concerning...

#14534 - 04/26/18 05:25 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: Phillip Reith]
hoffman900 Offline
Champion

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Phillip Reith
Originally Posted By: JFW
The dynamic shift to more modern cars is very predictable in hindsight. We were very naive in 1985 to think that 1972 would be an absolute timeline that would never be violated.

Thank you for conceding this, it has long since been a contention of mine. There's a rich history, up through the early 80's at a minimum, that should be tapped . Bending over backwards to stick to a period where things were in many ways dictated by necessity, and basically just lived with, never made sense.

I think the problem with the 1980s prep is the people interested are pretty much the same demographic interested in the prep of current vintage cars - the guys who were in their 30s then are in their 60s now. Thus allowing them in certain organizations didn't really change anything. My 2 cents.

Edited by hoffman900 (04/26/18 05:55 PM)

#14537 - 05/11/18 07:39 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
Enthusiast

It appears our Vintagage Race Rules Forum has ran it's course, not so much as one post in two weeks time.

Its too bad but at the same time it is one less thing I need to check on which is not all bad either.

www.stahly.com
www.4qte.com

#14538 - 05/12/18 06:34 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
dynalead Offline
Amateur racer

Terry,
Yes, it does seem to be over for VRR. Too bad I enjoyed it for a long time.

#14539 - 05/12/18 08:29 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: dynalead]
JFW Online   content

Originally Posted By: dynalead
Terry,
Yes, it does seem to be over for VRR. Too bad I enjoyed it for a long time.

Yup...it seems so.

I just couldn't devote time and resources to it and it appears my hand-off to another operator has failed.

Sorry folks.

See y'all at the races.

#14540 - 05/12/18 10:02 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
Racers Anonymous Offline
Novice

This forum is not dead. As long as people sit on the toilet with an iPad, there will be an audience. New reading material is scarce and many topics are avoided due to the perceived (or actual) penalties of being viewed as a whiner instead a winner.
What I find interesting about a forum such as this is the misconception many posters have regarding the persona they project. The id, the ego and the alter ego don't match. The way a person is, the way they think they are perceived, and other's perception of the person are all different. The more the difference, the closer to insanity.
For Jack, they match. Well, done. Healthy.
Rick? Not even close. Many others similarly. You may or may not know who you are. If you suspect you don't match, you don't. If you are sure you match, you REALLY don't.
Think about it. Do you match? Are you perceived accurately by others and or yourself? Probably not, but how wrong are you?
Do you ever give advise instead of your opinion? Do you feel that others view you as an expert? Do you argue a point that you feel others don't "get"?

If so, a simple test is in order:

Say something that could be construed as your opinion, at a time it was not asked for. . Did others quiet down and listen? Did they thank you for your advice? Did they act on it? If not, your opinion of the value of your opinion is not accurate.

The above is neither opinion, nor advice. No need to thank me!

Edited by Racers Anonymous (05/12/18 10:08 AM)

#14541 - 05/13/18 02:00 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: Racers Anonymous]
dcb Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: Racers Anonymous
This forum is not dead. As long as people sit on the toilet with an iPad, there will be an audience. New reading material is scarce and many topics are avoided due to the perceived (or actual) penalties of being viewed as a whiner instead a winner.
What I find interesting about a forum such as this is the misconception many posters have regarding the persona they project. The id, the ego and the alter ego don't match. The way a person is, the way they think they are perceived, and other's perception of the person are all different. The more the difference, the closer to insanity.
For Jack, they match. Well, done. Healthy.
Rick? Not even close. Many others similarly. You may or may not know who you are. If you suspect you don't match, you don't. If you are sure you match, you REALLY don't.
Think about it. Do you match? Are you perceived accurately by others and or yourself? Probably not, but how wrong are you?
Do you ever give advise instead of your opinion? Do you feel that others view you as an expert? Do you argue a point that you feel others don't "get"?

If so, a simple test is in order:

Say something that could be construed as your opinion, at a time it was not asked for. . Did others quiet down and listen? Did they thank you for your advice? Did they act on it? If not, your opinion of the value of your opinion is not accurate.

The above is neither opinion, nor advice. No need to thank me!

Wow, and I thought this was just for fun.
Anyway, seeings as no one has asked for my opinion, I'm going to give it.

I had my first race of the season last weekend. It was neither a great outing nor a failure for me personally, but for the sport it was an affirmation of why after all these years I never tire of it. This was an SCCA event, but the only difference between SCCA and vintage is a little less camaraderie among competitors - but not a lot less. What caught my attention was that when some official or worker or racer - don't know which it was other than purely amateur - was singing the national anthem I looked around and realized that most everyone stopped what they were doing and stood facing the flag - or at least where they thought the flag was - many with their hand over their heart. At first this surprised me a little, and then not so much, such are the people that go racing and always have.

I started thinking about how never once in the more than forty years I've been involved with this sport have I locked up my trailer or car. How I've never had even a second thought about leaving my tools, wallet or whatever anywhere and everywhere, or how easy it has always been to find a helping hand, or a spare part.

Very little in world operates like this. It is special, and it is important to me.

Now as for RA's rather damning criticism of perceived personna. I'm reminded of something I wrote a few years back after a few too many friends had died in rather rapid succession.

"And then there comes a time when our plans current and future are placed on indefinite hold, and at that point all that we can do or say has been done and said, and all that we are is what others will remember of us and that is most certainly not a complete likeness. In literature they say that the true meaning of the written word is what the reader takes from it and not necessarily what the author intended. So goes our legacy. We are what others will make of us and little of who we truly are. Its a shambles really. A great farce in which only our name may be remembered correctly and the rest is fabricated from faulty knowledge and biased emotion."

The point is RA, that you likely know little of those you judge.

Dave Brown

Edited by dcb (05/13/18 02:03 AM)

#14542 - 05/13/18 06:47 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: Racers Anonymous]
dynalead Offline
Amateur racer

Could yoy say that again only slower?

#14543 - 05/13/18 06:50 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: dynalead]
dynalead Offline
Amateur racer

RA, could you please say that again only slower?

#14544 - 05/13/18 07:49 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
V8vairmike Offline
Winner

Well SVRA seems to be a Good Topic for people to voice their opinion. Or how about all the Crashing that took place at the Mitty. Adam Corrolla Talking about Vintage Racing on his show. Lots of good topics. I just Dynoed a new motor for my V8 Car. My Bill Thomas 64 is coming together nicely. My Woman Danica gonna run at Indy. Lots of good stuff to talk about!! Mike

#14545 - 05/13/18 10:30 AM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: dcb]
Enthusiast

In reply to Dave, Yeah his post was pretty odd, he obviously felt he had something profound to share I didn't catch that part.

To your point, it used to blow my mind how far off base others can be when it comes to knowing who you are, what you are about, what you do or have done. I learned 35 years ago there is no point worrying about what others think. There is not enough time in the day to try to set the record straight or explain yourself to everyone. Learn to be amused by how silly it is, be happy and live your own life to the fullest.

We are only on this earth for millisecond anyway so in the big scheme of things, kind of like a puff of mist from a spray bottle.

You try to be a good person, an asset to others, put some smiles on others faces, live a life that you can be proud of when you look in the mirror. If some others do not understand all that...so what and what difference does it make? We do not get a medal or prize for being nice its just a way of life and how you were brought up.

Others are so busy with their own lives that the last thing they have time for is to think about your life or anyone elses. If they do they must lead awfully boring lives.

Totally agree about Vintage Racing it is one of the last bastions of what you talk about. Where else would one dare to leave valuables in your car unlocked with the windows down and not worry about it.

It is unique in this day and age and I am proud to be a part of it. I have made many life long friends in Vintage Racing and the kind of friends that my many other circles of friends don't understand.

TRS

Edited by Alfaromeo1 (05/13/18 06:27 PM)

www.stahly.com
www.4qte.com

#14547 - 05/13/18 07:36 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: Alfaromeo1]
zuzulo56 Offline

Loc: Hollywood
Originally Posted By: Alfaromeo1

We are only on this earth for millisecond anyway so in the big scheme of things, kind of like a puff of mist from a spray bottle.

TRS

Or, as another has opined:

["Then the LORD God... breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being."-- Genesis 2:7]

[3987]

Edited by zuzulo56 (05/13/18 07:42 PM)

#14551 - 05/16/18 11:51 PM Re: New Administrator / Forum Director [Re: JFW]
Racers Anonymous Offline
Novice

No offense meant. I was responding to Rick's comment about JFW really. I was also thinking about the endless political rants on FB, or the demands made regarding gun laws.
Opinions are welcome on a forum. Hard to have a discussion on a forum without sharing opinions. I like to hear opinions. I like to learn.
I was trying to say that some people value their own opinions to the extent that they endlessly repeat them and berate anyone who differs.
I do appreciate paddock life. Bad people don't last long in that world, so it surprises me what the good people in the paddock sometimes write on a forum or on FB. Sometimes I read something in other than the way it was written.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

VARA News
Who's Online
4 registered (TopGearTech, JFW, Rus'L, Alfaromeo1), 287 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bosco, Nick6981, Scaniasteve, JuanBecker, 1000beats
757 Registered Users